Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day 14 – Tuesday 22nd June [Nigeria v South Korea Live]

Well folks, here is a lesson for all of us. As the body gets older it is with good reason that we should also get wiser. The things you could get up to when you were 20 will almost certainly shoot you down when you are 40. Both Sash & I are starting to feel the effects of a long tour of Football Supporting. So much so that Sash has made an early call today – he is going to sleep off his fever – he is struggling & realises at some point you have to surrender to the pain. I on the other hand whilst also a little sick am more insane & so march on – must be the digger spirit in me.
Anyway today I took the opportunity to do some gift shopping for my kids – hope you like this stuff girls. Prices for official FIFA gear are not a rip-off but they are not cheap either – I guess momento’s of such a significant event are probably priceless – anyway I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM GIRLS. After shopping I am feeling thirsty – surprise, surprise so I take a little walk along the promenade to take in some of the colour & energy of the world cup – it’s like an emotional version of Red Bull – it just gets you going, before going to my local watering hole Joe Cools for pizza, beer & football – gotta love the world cup. The South African supporters are out in force. They play there last group game & a big win could see them qualify. I bought a South African Top [knock-off] so I could wear it & show my support – I am even doing the South African accent – I am nailing it.
Unfortunately whilst they win 2-1 against France [they are shit also] the Bafana [South African Team] do not qualify. The after game singing & dancing by the South African supporters would have you thinking they had qualified – they are such joyful people with no inhibitions – very nurturing for the soul. Sash is not feeling better, so I am actually going solo to the Nigeria v Korea game. It’s not the same when your travelling mate can’t be by your side, but I figure when in Rome..............
The game is a beauty, end to end stuff, but my eyes move from the game to the endless texts I am getting from Michael Radisch [thanks bro] who is filling me in on Greece v Argentina as the Greeks have a chance to qualify if they can draw & Nigeria win. Alas no luck, the Greeks stumble in the end 2-0 & the Nigerians succumb to the mighty drums of the Koreans [check out the video – these guys are hip]. The Nigerians were not to be outdone for support & called in for heavy re-inforcements [check out the witch-doctor or high priest – that is serious faith].
The world cup does an amazing job of giving supporters the opportunity to fully express themselves in song & physical appearance – heaps of vibrant & imaginative costumes. So our time in Durban is over. Tomorrow we leave for Joburg [& it is bloody cold there] so I thought I would end this blog with some stuff you might not know about Durban [& I am putting in Capetown also because I forgot].
Durban’s harbour is the busiest in Africa [top 10 in the world].
Mahatma Gandhi worked as a lawyer in Durban for 20 years.
Durban dates back to 1824 [not so old].
Toilets in Durban clubs are very accommodating for beer drinkers [check photo].
City Lodge Hotel staff are awesome as are there free muffins daily [check photo].
Capetown – well not really famous for anything special............but did i mention their Irish Pubs.........hmm.
Bye for now – hey send some well wishes for Sash, he really could do with your get-well thoughts.
























































No comments:

Post a Comment